Stewed Healing Apples and Immune Cofactors
Foods confer information to humans through the direct delivery of micro and macronutrients via different signalling mechanisms. The immune system in the gastrointestinal system is a highly active component of human health and its bacterial load, in conjunction with the foods selected confer a wide range of opportunities for the delivery of information to down-regulate inflammation and heal the gut
Functional digestive tract conditions reflect a change in the relationship between the host "microbes" and the mucosal immune and nervous system. These result in a wide range of distressing symptoms for which there are a variety of strategies, but no single intervention of consistent benefit. However, food choices and types can dramatically affect the gut microbes and encourage healing.
This immune modulating food combination may be eaten for breakfast and dinner or as a meal substitute (no more than 1 substitution per day for many days) and as a quick and soothing snack.
Ingredients for primary stage
- 6 Rome or Granny Smith cooking apples (or apples of choice preferably grown organically)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins/sultanas (for added sweetness and fibre)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
DirectionsPeel and core the apples and chop them into small evenly sized pieces.
Put all the ingredients in a covered, heavy-bottomed pan and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Cook until soft with rough shapes, no longer identifiable as apple slices. The colour should be a russet brown with the cinnamon effect.
These may be eaten warm, or cold. I suggest making up as many ramekins (sized to hold 1 – 1.5 apple equivalent in each and covered and put in the fridge for easy access.
Ingredients for secondary stage
- 1 tsp. of larch arabinogalactans stirred into the apple
- 1 Saccharomyces Boulardii 250mg capsule sprinkled on the top – or swallowed separately
- 1 mix of Bifidobacteria (mixed strains) (500mg) 5billion CFU sprinkled on top – or swallowed separately
- 1 x LGG sprinkled on top – or swallowed separately
- ½ container of organic natural yogurt or soy equivalent
- Add 6-8 blueberries and 4-5 almonds in their skins
- Finally, if required, a teaspoon of Manuka honey